Saturday, December 29, 2007

A Turn of Events

It’s been a while since I last updated my blog. Many things have manifested in my life. I resigned from my job at the end of October. In the beginning, I thought I would like to have my own time, doing things that I love and getting focused on Youth Development and Women Development.

A week before I finally left my position as Assistant Vice President, Human Resource Development, a night occurred when someone encouraged me to take up a different position. It’s becoming a District Manager and building my own business in financial services. This is like a 360 degrees turn in my career, venturing an unknown territory. I am jumping into a career in managing a sales team focusing on acquiring sales figures every single day. I have always spoken in my training sessions that I don’t do sales; I only sell inspiration, for free. Now I am doing sales? I am taking a challenge of doing something totally different in my life.

As I started off, after getting my contract on November 28, 2007, life has been pretty colorful. It’s true that I get to do things on my own terms, I have freedom of time, I get to walk in the park every single morning without any need to clock in the office at 8.30 a.m. but life is definitely a different ballgame altogether. I admit that it is truly challenging yet at the same time filled with excitement.

Many showed up to extend their support to me. Throughout my first one month, the two who claimed to be the wings that are going to help me fly high are Azim and Darwish. These two fine young men who showed up in my life are smart, intelligent and very creative. They have been my strong pillars as I go through each challenge along the way.

On December 27, 2007 I asked Darwish to take on a medical protection plan. This has been going on quite a while and after a series of discussion in this area, I made him finally signed up late evening as we plan to submit cases on December 28, 2007.

I woke up on December 28 at 5.00 a.m. as usual, had my prayers and by 6.15 a.m. left for the daily ritual to the park for my morning walk. I had been very diligent ever since I quit my job as I have a dedicated walking buddy, Marcia. By the time I got back, it was 7.30 a.m. and I left for an appointment at 8.00 a.m.

As I started driving, I notice a message on my phone. It was from Azim sent at 6.15 a.m. asking me to call him ASAP. I made that call and my heart sank when he told me that Darwish had an accident and when he sent that message, they were at the hospital and the doctor was stitching up his wounds. I was on my way for an appointment at Renaissance Hotel and told him that I would rush to see Darwish as soon as I finish some work in the office after the appointment.

When Darwish showed up in my life, I felt that he was sent to me for a purpose. He has been very kind to me, he is a fast learner and he is very open to learning. We had dinner together with Azim the night before and they made me laugh most of the time as they related their fishing experience and other past humorous events in their life. We had fun and suddenly he is now wounded…it was so very sad.

As soon as I finished my instructions to my secretary, I left the office to see Darwish. He was in another friend’s apartment. It saddens me to see this frail looking young man lying in bed sleeping with all the wounds on his head. As I walked in the apartment, I noticed the shirt which I gave him was hung with blood stains on it. Izmir showed me the picture of a badly smashed RX 7 that he drove. Azim and Izmir gave me an account of what happened. Darwish was unconscious when a cab driver took him to the hospital. I thank God that an angel was sent to save his life. Anyone who saw the condition of the car would never believe that the driver would survive the crash. That thought alone was truly heart wrenching for me.

It gives me the creeps and I felt goose bumps all over me as I recall the vision that I had of him. When I looked into his eyes asking him to get a medical protection the day before, I felt so strongly about it because I had a vision of him lying in a hospital bed. Exactly a year ago, I had the same vision for Iznor and the next day he was admitted and put up for surgery. I know how strange this feels but I did not ask to have these peculiar images. It just came as a flash and I had no control over it.

After talking to Azim and Izmir, I slowly woke Darwish up to make sure that he is fine. As he opened his eyes, I asked him whether he knows who I am. He slowly said, “Puan” and nodded his head. So, he was fine. The next thing he said was,”PA (Personal Accident Plan) is important.” Then he said his ECP (Excel Care Plus i.e. Medical Protection Plan) is one day late. Isn’t it sad? Sometimes we thought things won’t happen to us. That we don’t need to protect ourselves from an accident or any medical condition…but do we know for sure? That it will happen to others and we are spared the pain?

Darwish then started talking and suddenly he was his old self again, teasing and joking with us. I felt better seeing him this way. As I left him and his friends I was grateful to God that he is very much alive, that he is surrounded with caring friends like Izmir, Azim and Mahathir.

To Darwish:

“May God give you the strength to endure this and may you have a speedy recovery. I may not be able to fly high with one broken wing…..”

No comments: